Friday, August 07, 2015

Grand Mal Seizure

Scott had a grand mal seizure this morning.  This is the first time he has ever had a seizure like that and it was very scary.  It's the kind of seizure that you picture in your head when someone says the word seizure.  The worst part about it was that I wasn't home with him.  Paige and JJ were home and Paige called me immediately, JJ got our neighbor, Ronnie, who is a nurse (thank you Ronnie - you were amazing!), and then I called 911 from my car while racing home.  If you saw me, I apologize for the speeding and panicked driving!  It was very scary  and traumatic for the kids but I'm proud of how they handled it.  It's something you never want a child to have to see. 

The seizure lasted for a very long time (probably about 2 hours) before he was able to squeeze my hand to let me know he could hear me.  The EMT gave him Valium to relax the muscle spasms and then he got Ativan at overlook hospital. 

He's being transferred to Columbia tonight.  A special thank you Amanda for taking my kids, my sister for coming to stay overnight, and Ben and Kevin for coming to the hospital with me.

I think it will take a while for him to recover back to "base line" from this one.  I'll update more over the weekend.

Xoxo,
Julie  

No comments:

Post a Comment